SAINT GEORGE CHURCH
At the top of the hill of St. George is the same name post-Byzantine Church. The church was built probably in 1830 is a three aisle, wooden roof, royal large, while the interior is preserved the original architectural elements and decoration. The morphology elements and the decoration of St. George are representative examples of church architecture 19th in Macedonia.
See from the website of Kilkis Temple Photos
Cave Hill is located in St. George and the most important tourist attraction in the city. Accidentally discovered around 1925 by George Pavlidis quarriers (Boulasiki) when in the performance of the quarry work opened up the entrance. In 1960 he became the first mapping of the then President of the Greek Speleological Society (HSS) Mrs. Anna Petrochilou and recovery operations began in 1977 under the supervision of the same and lasted six years.
The cave was opened to the public in 1986. The length of the route is 500 meters and the area along the second floor exceeds 1,000 square meters the temperature is stable at 15-17 degrees Celsius all year round and humidity is of 95%. Presents an original form of the Greek system of caves because it has joints (fissures), which in parallel and perpendicular directions have been opened vertically. Thus, we presented high ceilings and winding narrow lanes. The spacious rooms are six, while the walls, ceilings and floors of a cap ornamented with stalactites and-a-kind stone corals. The corals, the work of stone creations are the result of shaking and shedding of a drop of water as it falls to the ground. Created in hollows of rocks, where there is no airflow.
The cave is also great paleontological interest. We found more than 300 samples of fossilized animal bones in a very good conservation status (by Makrides Vasileios). The study by Dr. Paleontology E. Tsoukalas (AUT) showed the presence of punctate hyenas (crocuta crocuta spelaea GOLDFUSS). The fox, ferret Husky (muslela putorius robusta NEWTON), a subspecies of the ferret reported for the first time in Greece, the wild ox, the small horse and big horse, the gigantic deer (Megakeros) and red deer. Remarkable is the presence of fossilized bones and teeth belonging to mikrothilastika (rodents). The age of fossils determined in 15,000 years. The old environment was prairie with shrubs and paleoclimate rather warm, hyenas inhabiting the cave, while herbivores found either by accident or were the main food of carnivorous animals. The cave, according to a survey of Czech doctors in 1988, has a cure for childhood asthma. Intended to develop "spilaiotherapeia" for the first time in Greece.
View from the website of Kilkis photos of cave
View from the website of Kilkis map of the cave
Find out more about the Spilaiotherapeia
It was built in the early 1980's when mayor was Avgitidis. It seats 3,500 spectators and offers
panoramic views of the city to spectators. Distinguished for its excellent
acoustics and it is not surprising that they have gone from there
the largest theatrical troupes in the country.
See Photos from the Theatre's website Kilkis.